Sunday, January 11, 2015

Online Wandering

 I like my e-walkabouts even if they are mostly a distraction.
and grandma the poisoner
"At first, my mother was the only one who’d refuse to eat Grandma’s food, and I thought she was being paranoid. Then I started noticing that every time I went to Grandma’s, I’d pass out on the couch or on the train on the way back to the city. When I stopped eating Grandma’s food, my brother thought I was paranoid. But I stopped passing out, and pretty soon he stopped eating Grandma’s food too."
 Curiosity leads me to these thing, indirectly. The "why, what am I reading" moment hasn't gone. A link from Maggie's Farm lead me to pallets.
 "There are approximately two billion wooden shipping pallets in the United States. They are in the holds of tractor-trailers, transporting Honey Nut Cheerios and oysters and penicillin and just about any other product you can think of: sweaters, copper wire, lab mice, and so on."
Curiosity of the industrial, especially of the ubiquitous type.  The original article's site I didn't find of much interest. A little back track to Marginal Revolution.

 The advice to not get lost in the encyclopedias from an early library lesson floats by. The internet move faster than a book and I'm not trying to finish a research paper, and the advice is ignored once more. The other link on the  page is best long reads of the year. And we're clicking.


Year in photos?
14 striking findings from 2014 it links to Pew piece of thing that are givens if your paying attention. That site decided to highlight the one on race so i was done and headed back to the best long reads of the year.

I don't read enough. I can't read that fast. Most of it isn't worth the time.

A quarter of the way down there is grandma. The main site got bookmarked. It all looks like a good mix of stories that might be of interest that I wouldn't run across else where The articles, including the UVa rape story, track back to more left leaning sources and places I haven't heard of, more threads for an other day.

These wanderings? wonderings? are relaxing and yet still feel like a waste of time. Do many people even discover on the web this way? Is it all just following the links from those on social media? I like my e-walkabouts even if they are mostly a distraction.

the best long reads of the year
There are approximately two billion wooden shipping pallets in the United States. They are in the holds of tractor-trailers, transporting Honey Nut Cheerios and oysters and penicillin and just about any other product you can think of: sweaters, copper wire, lab mice, and so on - See more at: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2014/12/pallets.html#sthash.FXTgUmJA.dpufbest of 2014.




There are approximately two billion wooden shipping pallets in the United States. They are in the holds of tractor-trailers, transporting Honey Nut Cheerios and oysters and penicillin and just about any other product you can think of: sweaters, copper wire, lab mice, and so on - See more at: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2014/12/pallets.html#sthash.FXTgUmJA.dpuf
There are approximately two billion wooden shipping pallets in the United States. They are in the holds of tractor-trailers, transporting Honey Nut Cheerios and oysters and penicillin and just about any other product you can think of: sweaters, copper wire, lab mice, and so on - See more at: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2014/12/pallets.html#sthash.FXTgUmJA.dpuf
There are approximately two billion wooden shipping pallets in the United States. They are in the holds of tractor-trailers, transporting Honey Nut Cheerios and oysters and penicillin and just about any other product you can think of: sweaters, copper wire, lab mice, and so on - See more at: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2014/12/pallets.html#sthash.FXTgUmJA.dpuf
Pallets
Pallets
Pallets

No comments: